Forums : Technical Issue Help

Dear Open Hub Users,

We’re excited to announce that we will be moving the Open Hub Forum to https://community.synopsys.com/s/black-duck-open-hub. Beginning immediately, users can head over, register, get technical help and discuss issue pertinent to the Open Hub. Registered users can also subscribe to Open Hub announcements here.

On May 1, 2020, we will be freezing https://www.openhub.net/forums and users will not be able to create new discussions. If you have any questions and concerns, please email us at [email protected]

Appearing as a contributor twice in the same project

Hi,
I have noticed that I appear twice as a contributor on my project Z-Machine Preservation Project, one is the correct one and one does not have a profile.

I have read somewhere on the forum that this might be related to that I migrated the revision control system from CVS -> SVN -> Git over the project's lifetime.

Would it be possible to merge these two contributors and have them only appear under the profile that I have here on Ohloh ?

Thank you very much,

Wei-ju

Wei-ju Wu over 14 years ago

Hi Wei-Ju,

Yes, your Ohloh account was stuck pointing at the old CVS committer name instead of the new Git name.

I've made the change, and I think the results are correct now. Let me know if there's still anything amiss.

Thanks,
Robin

Robin Luckey over 14 years ago

Hi Robin,
thanks a lot for the change. I noticed that my old committer name also received a couple of Kudos (but I might be wrong). Would it be possible to merge these as well ?
Thank you,

Wei-ju

HI Wei-ju,

I have sad news. Yes, your old committer name had kudos, but unfortunately, those kudos were coming from you!

Ohloh doesn't allow you to give kudos to yourself. Now that your account and your committer name are correctly connected, Ohloh knows that you are the same person, so the kudos are no longer applied.

To get some new kudos, you'll have to find other Ohloh members to give you kudos, or to indicate that they use your projects.

Thanks,
Robin

Argh, how is it possible to give kudos to myself ? I don't remember having done that, and how is it possible to give myself more than one for the same project ?

Sorry that I am a little surprised, because I that's how I understand the Kudo system: giving myself Kudos would be like writing my own Wikipedia entry - a definite no-no for me :-)

Thanks for clearing that up,

Wei-ju

Hm, just gave someone a Kudo - I only can give one Kudo to a person - or undo, but not several, so the above is still puzzling to me...

Question: If I put my own project into my software stack, does this implicitly give me Kudos ?

Yes, you've arrived at the answer: adding software to your stack implicitly gives some kudos to all of the contributors to the software.

It's of course completely natural that you would add your own software to your stack, which is how self-kudos usually arise.

So there are two channels for kudos propagation: you can either give kudos directly to a person, or you can stack their software.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. Now I understand it !