This project is an attempt to fill in the gap left out by BlogTorrent.
The idea is to have a simplified torrent tracker based on BlogTorrent without the "EasyDownload" and which exists now between nerds running trackers and normal users doing the download. And with many of the publicaly available trackers availablity not being guranteed and folks who co-host not_so_legal stuff, which being taken down all the time, there is a urgent need to have a software infrastructure which will allow any reasonably knowledgeable user to setup and serve his files via bittorrent from his shared server.
The Project attempts to achieve the following:
* Run a efficient non-binary tracker - to be able to run on a shared server
* Ability to share from server, popularly called a server-side seeding – to prevent sharing from dying off due to lack of a full or complete seed.
* Simple to setup
* Be OS/Platform neutral – PHP and python for glue code
The software will be shipped with scaled down version of the official bittorrent client so as to benefit from upstream modifications.
It will also be shipped with a stripped down version of python to support the bittorrent client and to make sure we work most OS/platforms.
The Software has the ability to use a database or can run off a flat-file database.
Users will have the ability to do most tasks that need to be done with bittorrent
* creating torrents for files on the server - maketorrent.php
* seeding torrents - seeder.php
* stopping and starting torrents - start.php and stop.php
* modify torrent - updating tracker information - updatetorrent.php
All the above php files are mostly front-ends to equal programs available in the official bititorrent client.
Once the torrent is created and tracked. It can be downloaded via any available bittorrent client.
These details are provided for information only. No information here is legal advice and should not be used as such.