Single Sign On (SSO) is a specialized form of user authentication that enables a user to be authenticated once, and gain access to resources on multiple systems/web applications during that session.
The benefits of using Single Sign On across your federation of web applications consist of:
* Helps consolidate silos of identity stores that have cropped up over time with multiple web applications.
* Improves user account provisioning process dramatically.
* Provides a better end user experience using web SSO.
* Improves efficiency when integrating user access to new applications including 3rd party ASP services like SalesForce.com.
* Enables secure intra-company access to applications between enterprises and their partners, suppliers, and customer organizations.