I have always been disappointed that SharePoint does not provide an underlying technology for deciding if a SharePoint item has been read by the current user. To fill that need, this project is a SharePoint site column and some supporting technology to provide visual indicators in a standard CAML view for whether or not the current user has read a specific item. It started out as an extension to the Freeze Dried Site Column project, but as it developed I realized that it would require a storage format query-able by the standard CAML view syntax. So I ended up with a separate project, which shares some code with the freeze dried project but is distributed separately.
These details are provided for information only. No information here is legal advice and should not be used as such.