- Software cost estimation is tricky business even when all the variables are known -- knowledge which we certainly don't have.
- We calculate the estimated cost of the project using the Basic COCOMO Model.
- For those familiar with the details, we are using coeffcients a=2.4 and b=1.05.
- Please note that COCOMO was created to model large institutional projects, which often don't compare well with distributed open-source projects.
- COCOMO is meant to include the design, specification drafting, reviewing and management overhead that goes along with producing quality software.
- This model seems to be most accurate with mature, large projects. Young projects with little activity are typically overvalued.