Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command line utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+.
* Install, remove, upgrade and downgrade single and multiple packages.
* Upgrade your whole system.
* Manage package
... [More] repositories (sources.list).
* Find packages by name, description and several other attributes.
* Select packages by status, section, name or a custom filter.
* Sort packages by name, status, size or version.
* Browse all available online documentation related to a package.
* Download the latest changelog of a package.
* Lock packages to the current version.
* Force the installation of a specifc package version.
* Undo/Redo of selections. [Less]
The Ubuntu Software Center is a utility for software management in Ubuntu.
In version 1, it builds on the basic philosophy of Add/Remove Applications with an easier-to-use design. In version 2, the primary feature goals are displaying non-application packages, making PPAs and other repositories
... [More] more prominent, and allowing ratings and reviews of software. Later versions may allow software purchases, include recommendation features, and replace other tools such as apturl, gdebi, APTonCD, and most of the Computer Janitor. The Center is implemented using Python, GTK, and Aptdaemon, and may use PackageKit for some components. [Less]